Institut Pasteur de Madagascar
Created in Madagascar since 1898, and a member of the Institut Pasteur International Network (IPIN), the Institut Pasteur de Madagascar (IPM) is a private scientific institute recognized as of public utility, its operation is governed, since 1961, by an agreement between the Institut Pasteur in Paris and the Malagasy government.
Its objective is to contribute to the prevention and treatment of diseases and to enhance economic development through research, public health, services and training activities.
Its workforce is around 500, more than 95% of whom are Malagasy.
With its 9 research units, covering a broad field of infectious diseases of importance in public health (plague, tuberculosis, antibiotic resistance, malaria, bilharzia, dengue, chikungunya, polio, Rift Valley fever), and its 10 laboratories or reference centers, the IPM is an important key player in public health in Madagascar.
Though a private institute, the IPM has the particularity of hosting 3 branches of the Ministry of Public Health: the National Reference Centre for Mycobacteria, the Central Plague Laboratory, and the Central Bilharzia Laboratory.
The IPM also provides services for the benefit of the population through a medical testing laboratory, accredited by COFRAC, which is opened 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; a food hygiene and environmental laboratory and an international vaccination center.
IPM carries out numerous training activities by participating in various courses offered by the University of Antananarivo and the University of Toliara; and also by offering research internship to numerous students.
For more information, visit the Institut Pasteur de Madagascar official website.